Thursday, January 27, 2011

20/20 Response

As some of you have heard or maybe seen, there was a report on ABC’s 20/20 a few weeks ago (I’m actually not sure when it aired) about women in Peace Corps who were raped and one who was murdered. As a Peace Corps volunteer, I received an e-mail from Peace Corps responding to this show, so I decided to watch this show. However, before I continue, I want to say, that this update is purely my opinion and in no way expressing opinions for the Peace Corps.
So, the show was very critical of Peace Corps and how it treats volunteers and their safety. However, there were a few things not mentioned by 20/20 that I would like to share. Security is a HUGE part of training. We receive numerous talks about security and medical. During training, many of us thought that the talks were repetitive and unnecessary. However, now I’m glad I received all the training I did. We are in countries that are not as safe as America, and we need to be aware of what happens. We get e-mails frequently of incidents in other countries with volunteers and reminders of how to keep ourselves safe. There is a person on staff to deal with security issues all the time and help volunteers with security incidents.
I do not feel as though Peace Corps has neglected our safety at all. We are told constantly that our safely is their number one priority, which I think is genuinely true. The embassy checks all the sites to see how safe they are, and if they aren’t safe, we aren’t placed there. We are told places to avoid, things not to carry, how to carry our belongings, and when it is safe to travel on public transportation. We are taught different hand signals and what they mean as well as how to deal with different security incidents. This all happens within the first 2 months of being here, and some of it happens in the first two days.
So, volunteers are very well informed about the security hazards of the countries in which they serve. Peace Corps does inform volunteers about this, but there is always some risk in life. There is more risk in developing countries, and I knew this coming here. I am better informed since being here, and I do not feel as though my safely is being neglected at all. I know that bad things do happen, and this is awful, there is no denying that; however, Peace Corps does not neglect my safety and security.

1 comment:

  1. I would think PC would like this to be their opinion! I seems to me that you put them in a very favorable light.

    I wish Claudia or another PC supervisor would come visit you in your site more often. That would be my only criticism. I'm not sure what they would be able to do, but perhaps it would make a difference in the community knowing that they have a presence?????

    I am a little afraid to watch the 20/20 thing. Maybe this is a time when it is better to not have too much revealed if I am going to prevent being a nervous wreck.

    On that note, I am hoping you can move to a more secure place!!!!!!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete