Thursday, January 27, 2011

Another Year Older, but Not Feeling Much Wiser

So, Monday was my birthday. I must say it was probably the most disappointing birthday I’ve had. I knew it wouldn’t be something special, but I thought it would be a little better than it was. I had two rather big meetings in my site; one was frustrating because people were being selfish and the other started two hours late. Since the meeting started so late, I got home late. I was planning to make something delicious for dinner, but I didn’t have time, so I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Also, I hadn’t heard from anyone in my family by about 9:30, so I thought they had forgotten. However, the phone or something was messed up, and they weren’t able to get through. So, it was just a bummer to have supposedly a special day be nothing more than ordinary. However, I’m told this only happens more often as you get older.
On a more positive note, I went to a Peace Corps soccer game in Santa Ana. These are games once a month in different people’s sites. Peace Corps volunteers play against the local team. They are quite fun I think, and I had a great time there. Also, a few friends made me an early birthday dinner with flan! That was very nice and wonderful. When I was there, I talked to another volunteer about my bee project, and she is going to help me (I think and hope) get some training for the women working with the bees, which is great! Also, she asked me if I wanted to take over organizing the soccer team since she is leaving in August – so there’s another side project to add to the list!
One more thing I’m very excited about is that it is Peace Corps 50th anniversary this year, so PC El Salvador is going to do a few things to celebrate! We are having a lunch, a 4th of July celebration and a photo exhibit. I am going to help some of these celebrations, which I’m very excited about! Also, I’m so thrilled that I get to be a part of Peace Corps on its 50th anniversary – quite a momentous time!

2 comments:

  1. That is cool that you are in the Pc during their 50th Anniversary. maybe i should come visit over the 4th?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think you would feel a whole lot wiser!! I think you have learned and experienced so much in the last 6 months it is astounding.

    I'm sorry you b-day wasn't better and that we didn't get hold of you earlier in the day. I hope you know we live you muy mucho!!!

    ReplyDelete