Sunday, March 27, 2011

Skinny Cows

So, when I first arrived, I was surprised at how fat the cows were. I’m mean, they’re no American cows, but they’re not the cows I typically think of when I think of developing nations. I was surprised, they looked healthy and happy. I couldn’t see their hips or ribs – which I thought was amazing. Now, I realized it was because it was winter – which means it was raining and there was plenty of grass. Now, it’s summer and DRY. Its brown everywhere there isn’t artificial watering. Another volunteer had told me stories of this – but I hadn’t believed it – I thought it was just stories. Anyway, so now the cows are stereotypically skinny and not appealing to eat. I can see their rib and hips very distinctly. They move more slowly, and generally look miserable. Maybe because its unbearably hot, but I also think it has something to do with the fact that they are eating brown (dead) grass and dirt. It is amazing to see the difference between these two seasons and how I can’t wait for the rainy season! (I thought I’d never say that).

No comments:

Post a Comment