Thursday, March 24, 2011

My First Big Success (well at least in my mind)

I have been in El Salvador now for about eight months, six of which I’ve been in my site. The work I’m doing or have done is far is this – started an English club for 7th-9th graders, taught art classes to 3rd -5th graders, continued work with a women’s group harvesting honey, learned how to make jewelry from another women’s group, assisted Engineers without Borders with starting a project to build latrines, attempted (but failed) to write a grant to fix the computer lab, attempted (but failed, but still in progress) a world map, made some friends, and most recently completed a camp to train people to teach about HIV/AIDS prevention – which I consider “My First Big Success.” But, regarding the previous stuff, in the United States – that would be a pathetically small amount of things to accomplish, or not accomplish as the case may be with some of the things. However, here, I’m one busy volunteer, which is hard for me to believe sometimes.
But, on to my great success – I was really nervous about this camp. I was scared that people wouldn’t learn, that I couldn’t be able to teach the lessons I was supposed to teach, my counterpart my not show up, my kids wouldn’t be able to do the practicum at the end, and everyone would be too overwhelmed by all the information. However – it was GREAT!!! Before, I was dreading it – not feeling prepared – but the time I returned I was possibly the happiest I’ve been here! It was a great feeling. I feel like I started something and finished it – which is amazing and that people learned a lot from it. Also, my counterpart showed up and did a fantastic job with her presentations, my kids (although I wasn’t sure of this until the middle of it) did a great job with the practicum, and are excited about teaching it to the other students! It was excellent and has inspired to do more regarding HIV/AIDS prevention, STD prevention and lessons on how the reproduction system works in the body (I learned that most kids don’t get that education here, so sometimes the HIV stuff doesn’t make sense until you explain the organs). Anyway, I’ve talked with the health promoter and we are going to work together to do this in the school and I’m so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment