Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Sometimes Parents do Know What They´re Talking About

So, recently I´ve been having some discussions with other volunteers about how El Salvador could develop more and develop more quickly. However, we´ve decided that there are numerous problems, at least where we are outside the cities, that I don´t even know how to begin to address them. It´s part educations, part funding, part changing people´s habits, part infrastructure. So, I was chatting with my dad last night and, as some of you know, he used to live in Haiti. When I was younger I would ask him what I thought to be simple questions such as: Why can´t Haiti improve more rapidly? or What´s the main problem with Haiti? or Can´t the government do something to help? His reply, which at the time made me really frustrated was ¨I don´t know. The more I learn about Haiti, the less I know and the less I understand.¨ However, know I must say, that is exactly what I say here, and I have realized, he was right, as much as I hate to admit that.

Other things going on here: I´m giving art classes to thrid and fourth graders, which has been a great way to get to know kids a little better and see what they think about and what they draw. Also, I´ve been working with a women´s group that is going to sell honey that is delicious! I hope it continues, so I will explain more later and keep you updated. Also, I mostly just chat with another women´s group who makes jewerly, but I love visiting them. They always make me feel better, and I am going to do some work with them, it will just take longer because they are more established and self-sufficient, which is great. Also, no Christmas plans, except staying in site and going to a few houses on the 24th. On the 25th, not much happens, but I think a few families go to the beach, so hopefully I´ll do that as well. Mostly just relaxing and hanging out with people!

Well...more on the bees later!

No comments:

Post a Comment