Sunday, October 30, 2011

Surviving the Storm

So, its been about 10 days since the rains have stopped and everything is almost back to normal. We were told by Peace Corps to stay in our sites and not leave for 9 days (standfast). This is the first step of our Emergence Action Plan. They decided because of the huge amounts of rain that it was unsafe to travel because bridges were being washed out, and many times, the trasnportation stopped due to too much water in the roads. So, for nine days, I didnt do much. I read, I watched TV shows, and slept. It was quite relaxing, but I started to run out of food and clothing, so I was grateful when it stopped. Also, it is difficult to not be able to leave your house. I did leave some, but I couldnt do a lot of work becuase it was raining too hard and school was cancelled for 7 days, so my abilities were limited.

Now the weather is beautiful. It is cool and even cold sometimes at night and the days are sunny and warm, even hot. Things are drying out and I can wash my clothes again! I must say that I am really glad I was living with a family during this time because I could talk to people without leaving my house, and they have a TV, so I could see what was going on in other parts of the country. Now that it is almost the dry season, the crops are ready to harvest and there will be more soccer games!

No comments:

Post a Comment